We get it, being a new pet parent is confusing and overwhelming! You might have friends telling you that pet insurance is a must-have, and other friends telling you it’s a rip off. So which is it? What do you actually need to provide the best for your pet? If you’re like us, you’re probably spending a few hours researching this:
We went through this as pet parents ourselves, so we did some work to break this down for you. The bottom line is that a one-size-fits-all option may not be right for you. Depending on your pet’s age, health, and the cost of care where you live, you may need something different from everyone else on the internet. Let’s dig in.
- All pet insurance companies will offer some form of pet insurance (duh), but not everyone offers wellness coverage.
- With the exception of Wagmo, other pet insurance companies with wellness add ons will require you to buy an insurance plan in order to get wellness protection. Wagmo is the only a-la-carte option (more on that later).
- Not all wellness plans are created equal - reimbursement amounts and categories vary by provider.
- Not all insurance plans are created equal - coverage, pricing, and customer experience can vary widely.
- Wagmo offers both Wellness and Insurance, and we let you mix and match as you like!
Pet insurance doesn’t cover exam fees, vaccines, routine blood work and tests, grooming, or your flea, tick, and heartworm prevention. However, chances are you’re going to end up spending hundreds, if not thousands for these everyday essentials for your pet. If you’re looking for help paying for this stuff, a wellness plan is your jam.
Pet insurance does cover accidents, illnesses, surgeries, cancer treatment, prescription medications, and more. These are the bigger-ticket items that come up less frequently, but can be financially debilitating. If you’re looking to protect against these, you’ll want a true pet insurance plan.
If you want coverage for all of the above, or as we like to call it “nose to tail coverage,” get both! Want some help deciding? Click here and we’ll direct you to the right combination of products for your pet.
We hope this helps you understand the difference between traditional pet insurance and wellness plans. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot us an email at email@example.com or slide into our DMs. And remember, you can always add on an insurance plan at a later date!
*Please note: Wagmo Insurance is not yet available in all 50 states.*